Welcome to Marin Villages!
Marin Villages' mission is to help older adults remain independent in their homes and communities, with dignity and grace.
Another New Fiscal Year Begins
by Lisa Brinkmann, Executive Director
I recently put together a "fact sheet" to help describe the accomplishments of Marin Villages over a recent 12-month period. I use these when we apply for grants, inquire about funding and look to better understand our operations. As we begin our 8th year of operations, I thought I would share some highlights:
- Marin Villages was founded in 2009 and began serving older adults in 2010.
- The Marin Villages community numbers close to 700 members and volunteers.
- Approximately 8% of our memberships are scholarships.
- Our requests for services have grown from 10-12/month to over 500/month.
- While 70% of requests are for transportation, 30% are for companionship, technology help, handyman services and assistance with pets.
- These requests equated to over 8,500 services. Our fulfillment rate runs 85-90%.
- Each month our Local Villages offer over 40 activities, programs and/or events, most of which are open to members, volunteers and guests.
What is even more interesting, are the people behind the statistics, making up our Marin Villages community. Our members and volunteers come from all backgrounds and experiences. Some live in their own homes; some in apartments and mobile homes; and others at care facilities. Some are members; others are volunteers; and there is a group that are both members and volunteers. All wish to enjoy the community they call home.
- Residents looking to make social (re)connections in their communities:
- New retirees "re-purposing" their skills and interest;
- "Empty nesters" with a few hours of free time each month;
- Spouses visiting partners in care facilities;
- Visually-impaired in need of someone to help with paperwork or call out labels on signs and groceries;
- People with memory issues who enjoy walking and companionship;
- Former drivers with appointments, errands and activities "close to home", but too far to walk;
- Single persons who need another set of hands to "hold the ladder";
- Older adults who require assistance locating professional services they can trust;
- Families enjoying inter-generational relationships made through volunteering;
- Individuals of all ages who hope to make Marin an age-friendly place.
We're excited to start this new fiscal year and welcome new members and volunteers. Help us build our community:
- If you know someone who might benefit from our services, tell them about us!
- If you have 2-4 hours a month to spare, volunteer with us.
- If you are unable to join or volunteer, consider donating!
View our video to learn more about us:
seeks to address the service gap that many seniors face. We are a non-profit, volunteer-supported, membership organization that strives to help seniors age in place safely, confidently and independently. We do that by providing vetted-volunteers who assist our members with local rides, household help, pet care, tech support, office organization, companionship, and more.
Marin Villages recognizes the need to offer
older adults an alternative when deciding how and where they would like
to age and provide opportunities for them to remain socially engaged.
Join us in pursuing our mission and donate today!!
or send a check to
Marin Villages, 4340 Redwood Highway, Ste. F-142, San Rafael, CA 94903
Many thanks to our Donors and Contributors for supporting Marin Villages and helping to make our mission a reality.
Marin Villages is a non-profit 501(c)(3).